Guide for Authors
Authors must follow these instructions carefully to avoid delays in submission, blind peer review and publication processes.
A. Submission of Manuscripts
The language of the journal is English. Authors are recommended to perform spell checking and grammar checking of the article. Authors, for whose English is not the native language, are strongly encouraged to have their manuscript carefully edited prior to submission.
After the submission, the manuscripts will be edited according to the journal submission format and authors may be requested for some corrections or for addition of any missing information.
Submissions to the A|Z ITU JOURNAL OF THE FACULTY OF ARCHITECTURE should be comprised of the following sections and made through the online system. Papers and visual materials that are not submitted online will not be considered.
Revised manuscripts should also follow the steps given in the Preparation of Manuscripts. Along with the revised manuscript, authors should supply a revision note that includes all the changes made to the manuscript and detailed responses to all the comments passed by the reviewer(s) and Editor. The revision note should be submitted as a Word document.
B. Preparation of Manuscripts
The following documents must be uploaded to the online submission system separately:
- Manuscript with Author Details
- Anonymized Manuscript
- Tables, Figures and Equations (if any - upload separately)
- Ethics Committee Approval (if necessary)
1. Manuscript with Author Details
The manuscript must be submitted as a Word document by editing our Word template. As can be found in the document styles; there are 7 styles for appropriate text types as AZ_Article Title, AZ_Body Text, AZ_Bulleted List, AZ_Numbered List, AZ_Caption, AZ_Heading 1/2/3, AZ_Heading 4 and AZ_Quotation. The Word files that are using other fonts or styles will be rejected immediately. Please make sure that every element and line of the document is assigned to the appropriate style. For instance; bulleted lists (Style: AZ_Bulleted List), direct quotations as separate paragraphs (Style: AZ_Quotation), fourth level headings (Style: AZ_Heading 4) must be formatted with the aforementioned styles.
The original manuscript must include;
- Article Title (Style: AZ_Article Title)
- Author Names (Style: AZ_Body Text) Example: Pelin EFİLTİ1, Onur YILMAZ2
- Author E-mail Addresses, and Affiliations (Style: AZ_Numbered List)
Each author must provide a single affiliation.
1. email@example.com • Department of Industrial Design, Faculty of Architecture, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey
2. firstname.lastname@example.org • Department of Industrial Design, Faculty of Architecture, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey
4. Abstract (Title Style: AZ_Heading 1/2/3; Text Style: AZ_Body Text)
A concise and informative abstract of maximum 250 words in English must summarize the purpose, methods and major findings of the paper. The abstract should be unreferenced.
5. Keywords (Title Style: AZ_Heading 1/2/3; Text Style: AZ_Body Text)
The article must have maximum 5 keywords which must be sorted in alphabetical order and separated by a comma. Keywords must be carefully selected to facilitate the readers’ search.
6. Main Text (Title Style: AZ_Heading 1/2/3; Text Style: AZ_Body Text)
- The main text should be 5000-7000 words long (not including abstract, keywords and references).
- All headings must be numbered consecutively and hierarchically.
- Tables, figures and equations must not be embedded in the article. The proposed location of figures and tables must be indicated in the main text by adding “Figure 1. Caption” or “Table 1. Caption” with the AZ_Caption style.
- Within the article, avoid the use of footnotes and endnotes. If unavoidable, label as ,  and list them all together at the end of the main text.
- Symbols, abbreviations and conventions in papers must follow the recommended SI Units. Abbreviations must be defined in brackets after their first mention in the text in accordance with internationally agreed rules.
- Mathematical symbols and formulae must be typed and any other application or program must not be used. They should also be numbered consecutively and uploaded separately in jpeg format. Particular care must be exercised in identifying all symbols and avoiding ambiguities. A distinction must be made between the number one (1) and letter (I) and between the number (0) and the letter (O).
7. Endnotes (if any) (Title Style: AZ_Heading 1/2/3; Text Style: AZ_Body Text
- The style and punctuation of the references must follow the APA referencing style.
- References in the manuscript must give the surname of the author and the year of publication in brackets.
- The references must be listed in alphabetical order of authors’ names and in chronological order for each author.
- The upper- and lower-case rules and punctuation types of APA style must be carefully followed.
- Further details about the APA referencing style can be seen at http://www.apastyle. org/.
Some examples of reference citations are given below:
Books: Author, A. (2014). Title of the book. London: Mitchell.
Journals: Author, A. A., & Author, B. (2012). Title of the article. Title of Journal, 12(4), 187–195. https://doi. org/...
Conference Proceedings: Author, A. A., & Author, B. (2014). Title of paper. Paper presented at the Conference Name, Location.
Thesis: Author, A. A. (2008). Title of thesis (Unpublished doctoral dissertation or master’s thesis). Institution, Location.
Websites: The BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk). or Author, A. (2011). Title of document [Format description]. Retrieved from http://URL
Report: Author, A. A. (2012). Title of work. (Report No. 123). Location: Publisher. or Author, A. A. (2012). Title of work. (Report No. 123). Retrieved from Name website: http://URL
9. Acknowledgment (if any) (Title Style: AZ_Heading 1/2/3; Text Style: AZ_Body Text)
2. Anonymized Manuscript
Anonymized Manuscript must include;
- Article Title (Style: AZ_Article Title)
- Abstract (Title Style: AZ_Heading 1/2/3; Text Style: AZ_Body Text)
- Keywords (Title Style: AZ_Heading 1/2/3; Text Style: AZ_Body Text)
- Main Text (Title Style: AZ_Heading 1/2/3; Text Style: AZ_Body Text)
- Endnotes (if any) (Title Style: AZ_Heading 1/2/3; Text Style: AZ_Body Text)
- Within the article, any information that could indicate the authors’ identity should be removed. To maintain anonymity in the double-blind review process, for self-citations, please use in-text references as “(Author(s), the year of publishing)” and end-text reference as “Author(s) (the year of publishing).” Author(s) should make sure that figures and tables do not contain any affiliation related identifier. You can rectify your citations after your submission is confirmed. Example: Instead of “(Yılmaz, 1900)”, please use “(Author(s), 1900)” in the text and “Author(s) (1900)” in the end-text reference list and remove any other information related to the publication.
3. Tables, Figures and Equations
- Tables, figures and equations must not be embedded in the article. They should be numbered consecutively and uploaded separately in jpeg format.
- Figures must be provided in RGB color with minimum 300 dpi resolution.
- Tables must include a single readable font such as Times New Roman, Arial or Calibri.
- Tables, figures and equations should be properly sized and cropped according to how they should appear in print.
- Maps and charts must be named and numbered as figures.
- The total number of tables and figures must not exceed 10. There is no limitation for the numbers of equations.
C. Copyright, Originality and Ethics
It is the author’s responsibility to obtain written permission from authors and publishers of any previously published material; text, tables, figures, etc.
To verify the originality of the work, all the manuscripts submitted to our journal are checked by a plagiarism detection service. The journal’s acceptable limit is 20 % for overall similarity and 5 % for similarity with a single source.
Regulations regarding the necessity of ethical approval vary worldwide. A|Z ITU JOURNAL OF THE FACULTY OF ARCHITECTURE asks for ethics committee approval from each research that involves the participation of animals or human subjects. If the authors are not able to provide ethics committee approval, a statement of compliance should be uploaded to the online submission system during the first submission.
D. Book Reviews and Notes
- A book review must run between 500-1000 words, which gives scope for an assessment of the book and its contribution to knowledge and discussion within the broad field of architecture, planning and design.
- Reviews must be typed in double spacing by using Arial font with 12 points.
- Name, affiliation and e-mail address of the reviewer must be given.
- A photograph of the book cover must be provided in jpeg format.
- The title, author, origin, publisher, date, number of pages and ISBN number must be provided as in the following example:
The Search for Form in Art and Architecture
Eliel Saarinen, 1985
Dover Publications Inc.: New York
354 pp Paperback
E. Special Issue
The Editorial Board of A|Z ITU JOURNAL OF THE FACULTY OF ARCHITECTURE has decided to welcome Special Issues’ applications in the following procedure:
Special Issue applicant (guest editor) is expected to provide:
- Letter of intent (the rationale behind the proposed topic, the contribution of the proposed topic to the state-of-the-art, main focus or themes of manuscripts which would be presented in the special issue): Letter of intent is expected to be written clearly, systematically and in a formal way. The letter should be between 750-1000 words.
- A draft version of the call for papers (max 400 words)
- A short resume of the guest editor with a list of publications.
Please note that:
- Guest editor cannot be a contributor of any manuscript which would be published in the special issue.
- Guest editor cannot be the referee of any submitted manuscripts.
Special Issue applications are available twice a year: April and November. To submit a special issue proposal please contact email@example.com
All the accepted papers are published as Online First articles, once the authors have returned the corrected proofs. After the publication of the printed version, the paper can be cited by issue and page numbers.
There is no submission and page fee for A|Z ITU Journal of the Faculty of Architecture.